Northeastern is on its way to three-straight undefeated regular seasons in the Northeastern Coastal Conference. Tell that to Hertford County, who believes it was slighted in the teams’ two meetings last year and gets the Eagles in Ahoskie this Friday.
It’s another opportunity for NHS to prove its dominance in the northeast corner. We know what happened last time it was being questioned nearly two weeks ago.
- Northeastern (8-1) (LW 1): A victory this Friday would give the Eagles at least a share of a fourth-straight NCC championship.
- Edenton (7-2) (LW 2): There was some Northeastern hangover in the opening quarter against First Flight, then it was back to the Aces running and running and running some more.
- Hertford County (5-4) (LW 3): A win against NHS could create a three-way tie atop the conference a la 2013 (Eagles, Aces and Knights). Yeah no.
- First Flight (5-3) (LW 4): Reality has set in with three losses in the last four games. Now comes a second meeting against Currituck.
- Bertie (4-5) (LW 6): Make way for the Falcons. It’s that Mizelle Magic in Windsor.
- Pasquotank (5-4) (LW 5): This Friday could be it for the Panthers if they lose at Bertie. On the flip side, a Pasquotank win gives them a winning…ya know, I’ve explained this plenty the past few weeks. Time for the Tank to just do it.
- Currituck (2-6) (LW 7): The Knights led at Bertie until the final 3:30, another heartbreaker for a program that hasn’t tasted victory since August.
Others receiving votes: Your school, your field, our game.
- Gates (7-2) (LW 1): One week Maxpreps takes away the forfeit wins, the next they’re back. Just keep them dubs already. Red Barons even got love from the AP state poll as just outside the top 10 for 1As.
- Plymouth (6-3) (LW 2): Can we just fast forward to Vikings-Barons in Gatesville?
- Manteo (4-5) (LW 4): Moving up without playing is rare. After result of Camden-Perquimans tho…
- Camden (2-6) (LW 5): Almost everyone was guilty of underestimating a Scott Jones-coached team, especially when said coach got a week-plus to prepare. Thus the Bruins have now won six in a row against their friends from Hertford.
- Perquimans (4-5) (LW 3): Pirates can at least get above .500 with victories against Mattamuskeet and Columbia.
- Mattamuskeet (5-4) (LW 6): How about this: a victory against either Perquimans or Camden (or heck why not both) would mean the Lakers would have a winning season.
- Columbia (3-6) (LW 7): It’s Creswell. It’s Columbia. Combined they have fewer players than Northeastern.
- Creswell (1-7) (LW 9): The Tigers and Hurricanes played an entire game without fighting. Creswell won by the same 34-8 score it lost to a week earlier to Plymouth. And we found out the score by the end of the weekend. Progress.
- Cape Hatteras (1-7) (LW 8): Season finale at Norfolk Christian this Friday.
Others receiving votes: Brandon Underwood’s Cam Whitehurst impression.
— Owen Hassell